History‎ > ‎

First Floor

 IOOF Building: Frisk & Co.
-------------------------
"Fisk & Co." First business in the IOOF Building
The Ludington Record, April 24, 1890
-------------------------


IOOF Building: The Kozy Theater
-------------------------
1912 - 1940, Kozy Theater 
Shrine of Silent Art
-------------------------


-------------------------
1942 - 1954, Center Theater 
A Modern Movie House
-------------------------


-------------------------
1985 - 2010, Dean's 4 in 1 Store
One Cool & Odd Store
-------------------------

A Place of Business, Theater, Art, and Fashion...

-------------------------

The first floor was leased to various businesses from 1889 until 1912, including Fisk & Co., a newspaper, magazine and variety store. In 1912, the IOOF remodeled the space as the Kozy Theater - Shrine of Silent Art. The theater screened motion pictures and hosted town meetings, school plays and educational classes. The Kozy closed in 1940, and reopened June 6th, 1942 as the Center Theater with renovations featuring knotty pine walls, new lobby and marquee. On March 13, 1954, the Center Theater closed and the space served as a seasonal Santa's Headquarters for local children. In December 1959, the sloped floor was leveled and a balcony  was installed to open as "Center Town / The Theater / The Koffee House", a hangout for teens. No further significant renovations were made as businesses, Cook’s Sport and Ski Shop (1973 - 1979), Zigs Bargain House (1980), and Dean's 4 in 1 (1985 - 2010), occupied the space. 

                                                   -------------------------

     IOOF Building: Kozy Theater, Nov. 25, 1932 IOOF Building: Center Theater Opens, Ludington Daily News, June 11, 1942  

                                                   -------------------------
  
In 2011, the entire building underwent extensive renovation to restore the exterior of the building close to its original architecture and to reveal the 1940's elements of the historic Center Theater - the ticket booth, stage, maple flooring and restrooms of the are still present and restored. In August 2011, the first floor opened as A.M. Galleries, offering fine art, custom framing and special event rentals.

                                                   -------------------------
    
IOOF Building: AM Galleries Grand Opening Celebration, 2011
    
                                                   -------------------------
    
Known business history of the first floor:
  1. Fisk & Co. (1890 - ?)
  2. Kozy Theater - Shrine of Silent Art (1912 - 1940)
  3. Center Theater (1942 - 1954)
  4. Center Town / The Theater / The Koffee House (1959 - ?)
  5. Cook’s Sport and Ski Shop (1973 - 1979)
  6. Zigs Bargain House (1980 - ?)
  7. Dean's 4 in 1 (1985 - 2010)
  8. A.M. Galleries (2011 - 2014)
  9. Mattress Max & Home Furnishings, Furniture (2014 - 2018)
  10. My Sister's Closet, Women's Clothing Boutique (Since 2018)



The Restored Building Today...

Comments