History‎ > ‎

Second Floor History

A Place of Ceremony and Celebration...

The second floor served as the IOOF and Rebekah meeting lodge from construction in 1889 to approximately 1999. The first meeting of the IOOF in the new temple was held May 20, 1890. On January 27, 1891, the temple was dedicated by Grand Chaplain D. H. Reiter of the Michigan Grand Lodge. In 1906, the Annual Convention of the Grand Lodge was hosted by Crystal Lodge 159, which brought over 1,500 members to Ludington. For the next 109 years, this space housed numerous meetings, ceremonies and celebrations and was the center point for charitable giving that influenced the local community.

Below is an article written by Percy E. Morse, published in the Ludington Daily News April 25, 1957, that accounts the history of Ludington Odd Fellows, Rebekahs and the IOOF Building in detail.

Ludington Daily News 1957, Percy Morse
Ludington Daily News 1957, Percy Morse